This is a great survey to fill out each year.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Bought a wedding dress. I thought it would be overwhelming, but it was surprisingly easy.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
No My resolution was to organize my desk every night, and as you can see, I did not keep that up.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
One of Mike’s best friends, Vanessa, gave birth to a beautiful little girl!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A finished manuscript
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting into a writing routine, and starting a story that I really enjoy writing.
9. What was your biggest failure?
BeddyBye, but I don’t really look at it as a failure.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The tour package to China. It was a great bargain, and I got a taste of a country I’ve always been curious about.
12. Where did most of your money go?
I was unemployed for a few months out of the year so I went through a lot of my savings.
13. What did you get really excited about?
Coming up with a great story idea, and then working on it non stop. I’m spending about 5 hours a day writing! And of course, planning our wedding and honeymoon.
14. What song will always remind you of 2012?
Call me Maybe and Gangnam Style.
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter
c) richer or poorer? Poorer
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time in out of the apartment. It’s easy to take NYC for granted when you live here.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
18. What was your favorite TV program?
Happy Endings, Breaking Bad and Damages
19. What were your favorite books of the year?
I’m an avid reader of fiction, but this year I spent a lot more time reading articles in The New Yorker. That magazine is so dense and I’m usually just finishing the last article by the time the next issue arrives. I loved reading Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.
20. What were your favorite films of the year?
I just saw Les Misarables and flipped over it. Argo and Looper.
21. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28. I like a low-key birthday, so Mike took me out for dinner and then we saw Sleep No More a few days later.
22. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having a housekeeper come once a month.
23. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
Whatever’s on sale at Banana Republic works for me.
24. What kept you sane?
25. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
Small actions add up.
I’d love to hear your answers to these questions. Leave a comment!