So I’m sure you’ve been sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear about my next business step. A few weeks ago I mentioned that I had a great idea for a new product. I thought I should let you in on what I’ve been doing since then.
- I bought the domain name. Unfortunately, someone already owned the original name I wanted. I was able to email the owner and he was willing to sell it for $1,750!!! Can you believe it? I decided to tweak the name a little and register with Active-Domain.com for $4 a year. However, most other resellers are a lot more reasonable so if you’re interested in buying a domain name that’s already taken you can find the contact info for every domain owner at Whois.com .
- I’m filling out the paperwork to form an LLC. After talking to a few small business owners I learned that it’s necessary to separate your personal finances from the business. If there is any potential that you’ll be sued, and let’s face it in this day in age you can get sued for anything, your personal finances will be safe. If your company goes bankrupt, your personal savings won’t be in jeopardy. I certainly don’t want my couch to be repossessed. Where would I write my blog posts!
- I signed up for a free small business owner course at Queen’s community college. NYC.gov is a great resource for free advice.
- I ordered foam and I’m busy making the prototype. Working with it has caused me to completely revamp the original idea. If you have an idea for a product I would really suggest trying to make it first – no matter how much you think about it, or draw the designs you can’t foresee the actual design flaws until you’re holding it in your hands.
- I’m sharing my idea with with my target audience. I’ve gotten lots of great suggestions for marketing and design improvements. Everyone has said they would buy it, so that has been really encouraging!
- I’m blogging about it. Making it public has held me accountable and pushes me forward. Almost everyday someone who’s read my post about finding my future career has asked, “so, ahh, what’s goin’ on with that?” It’s super motivating!