I’ve been obsessing over my characters lately, fleshing them out and making them more likable. I’ve read all the typical writer’s advice. Give them:
- a fatal flaw
- a deep desire
- an out-of-character quirk
But I don’t want to make my characters just likable – I want them lovable, so I have two questions for my readers:
- Who is one of your favorite characters in literature or movies? What makes you love him or her?
- Tell me some of the less obvious reasons why you love your best friend/ partner?
Here are my answers:
- Scarlett O’Hara. I love that she’s proud and stubborn, and how those traits ultimately keep her from what she wants.
- I love the way Mike takes care of the cats.
- Happy Birthday Vivien Leigh (waldina.com)
- You Are Only Here, Because Of Your Heart! ***messymandella*** (messymandella.com)
- Characterization (ninakaytel.wordpress.com)
- Literary Women Illustrated (womenwriteaboutcomics.com)
- Characterization: Negative Traits and Positive Traits (suebe.wordpress.com)